Sunday, September 19, 2010

Inspirations and Influences 3: Robin Hood



Robin Hood

It would be difficult to say exactly when Robin Hood first came into my life.

I imagine that the Disney cartoon with the fox was my first exposure, followed by Erol Flynn's version on TV, which really started the appreciation of that legendary character.

The idea of a vigilante out to balance the score in the name of social justice against oppressors suited my Libran sensibilities to a tee--and still does.

At the time, the costuming didn't bother me with the tights and colorful outfits (though in actuality, it was more historically accurate than later versions). I appreciated Flynn doing his own stunts and the acting from the other actors was excellent. Claude Raines was perfect as Prince John.

The imagery and pageantry of the production got me hooked on Robin Hood.

In Boy Scouts, I went to summer camp and had opportunities at archery. We made our own bow string and arrows. That summer, I brought both home and in my parents back yard, I often shot at a target (though I should have done it more).

In hte '80s, a BBC production of Robin Hood made it to public TV. I watched most every episode. The soundtrack by Clannad became one of my first CDs. The show had Robin in a semi-fantasy setting involving magic (not over-the-top magic like Harry Potter, but more low key psychological magic).

Every time I went into the woods, I imagined that I was Robin Hood. It was a cool feeling, embracing the character spiritually as I did. And there were plenty of woods in Minnesota.


In high school, I got into Green Arrow, the comic form of Robin Hood. I really liked the Oliver Queen character, and the later, darker view of him was interesting as well (by the way, Kevin Smith, if you are reading this, please do a Green Arrow movie... thanks... preferably without the changing of costuming and appearance like so many adaptations are prone to do these days).

Then came Costner's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I liked it a lot. It was a rejuvenating force for my interested in Hood. Almost simultaneously, a lower budget, did-not-hit-theaters version of Robin Hood came out staring Patrick Bergen and Uma Thurman. I enjoyed that version very much. The elements which I had come to know as Robin Hood were all there, but perhaps grounded more in reality. Robin Hood: Men in Tights suffered, though. I am one for satire, but Mel Brooks is hit and miss. He missed big with that one.

Time passed, I started the rough draft of a Robin Hood story (which I hope to see in print within three years). All of those years of inspiration lead me to it. I don't wish to share much about it, as it is not complete yet, but the story is completely plotted and 1/2 written. It has been put on the back burner until my current project is complete. But it is in hommage to one of my heroes.

Then came a new BBC release of a Robin Hood series. At first the younger cast put me off, but it grew on me quickly. I enjoyed the series and will probably get it on DVD (to join my other Robin Hood collection). It tried to tie into modern troubles, which I appreciated, and the acting was good.

I have yet to see Russel Crowe's version (as it is tough to get a babysitter), but I will rent that on DVD when it is available in Japan. I anticipate that I will love it.

Robin Hood is a figure who is ties up in historical mystery. The whole idea of Marion, Friar Tuck, etc., may have been dramatic additions to the tale, but I find Robin Hood to be a good role model for youth to encourage them to do what is right for all, even at the expense of self.

Rent the movies and read books about Robin Hood.

Carpe diem.

Suggestions:


Books:
Green Arrow
The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle
Robin Hood by J.C. Holt (a history book)


Movies/TV
Robin Hood (Erol Flynn)
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
Robin Hood (Patrick Bergen)
Princess of Thieves
Robin Hood (BBC TV 1980's and 21st century)


Video Games
Legend of Sherwood
Robin Hood: Defender of the Crown
Age of Empires 2 (you can build maps create scenarios and use his character)























No comments:

Post a Comment